The scanning solution was currently used for healthcare. The client used an interface engine between the scanning solution software and the database, but the interface engine had some major security issues (Log4j had some vulnerabilities). Due to the security risk, the client wanted to replace their current interface engine with another interface engine or application. .
Replacing with another interface engine had the following challenges:
- New available interface engines were not open source and hence expensive.
- New interface engine would have added monthly maintenance costs.
- The client’s (interface) requirement was small to use an interface engine altogether.
Challenges in developing the customized application:
- Make sure new APIs are secure.
- The new application should have all the functions of an interface engine in order to capture all the data.
As part of the solution KPi–Tech decided to create a Custom Java-based application . This application listens to HL7 messages on a specific port from the Hospital software. And sends an acknowledgment back to the hospital software immediately after receiving the message.
The custom Java Application parses HL7 messages and stores them in the database.
Other Features of the Application:
- Error Handler, which will handle
- Message Receive error
- Parsing HL7 message errors.
- Message processing errors
- Error Alerts via. Emails
Apache Camel -
This plugin will receive HL7 messages and routes to Apache Mina from the scanning software
Apache MINA -
Runs standalone application & acknowledges using Happi
Technologies and Tools:
Java 11, Spring JDBC, Spring Core, Maven, Apache Camel, Apache Mina, JavaMail, and MSSQL Server
KPi-Tech experts successfully replaced an Interface engine with a Java based Custom application to parse and store healthcare data securely.
- Enhanced Security
Custom Java app runs in the secure private network which is not available publicly. Camel offers encryption/decryption services to secure payloads or selectively apply encryption/decryption capabilities on portions/sections of a payload.
The data encryption is as per HIPAA standards
The standalone application was built at half the price of an Interface engine without any recurring or maintenance costs.
- HL7: Health Level Seven (HL7) is a standard for exchanging information between medical information systems.
- HL7 message: HL7 is a messaging standard that enables clinical applications to exchange data